Promises, Promises is the fifteenth episode of the first season.
Cast and Characters
- Ringo Starr as Mr. Conductor
- Didi Conn as Stacy Jones
- Leonard Jackson as Harry Cupper
- Nicole Leach as Tanya Cupper
- Brian O'Connor as Schemer
- Jason Woliner as Matthew Jones
- Peter Baird as Grace Bass
- Craig Marin as Rex
- Olga Marin as DiDi
- Alan Semok as Grace Bass
- Vaneese Thomas as Grace Bass
- Wayne White as Tex
The viaduct on the Main Line is undergoing repair work, delaying everything and everyone. This makes Thomas very cross as he has to wait for the Main Line trains at the junction, making him late with his own connection with Bertie the Bus. Eventually, Bertie begins to tease Thomas about his lateness, until one day Bertie breaks down at a level crossing. Thomas, running late as usual, takes Bertie’s passengers home and sends for help. Afterward, Bertie apologises to Thomas, and they both agree that being late at times isn’t such a bad thing.
Sir Topham Hatt brings a diesel shunter to the yard on trial and asks Duck to show him around. Duck tries to help, but Diesel refuses to listen to him, claiming he knows everything. But whilst collecting cars for Duck, he pulls out the wrong ones, loses his temper and makes a dreadful mess of it. Duck finds it all amusing and so do the cars, who embark in a delightful singsong of “Pop Goes the Diesel!” leaving Diesel angry and in disgrace.
Jukebox Band Song Segment
- Oh! Susanna
- Schemer: (after finding out who J.B. King is) Open foot, insert mouth.
- Stacy: I'm very worried, Harry. The railroad told us the repairs will be done in three days. It's already been six days and it's still not finished.
Harry: Well, the repair crew is doing the best they can. People have to travel in safety.
Stacy: I know, but the main office sends us a new schedule impractically every day. The Indian Valley Railroad has to understand that a train schedule is like a promise and a promise has to be kept whether it's made by a person or a railroad. We've got to come up with something to help our passengers.