The kids write a newspaper, but by mistake, they make up different stories. They learn that news stories are meant to be real ones.
Cast and Characters
- George Carlin as Mr. Conductor
- Didi Conn as Stacy Jones
- Tom Jackson as Billy Twofeathers
- Erica Luttrell as Kara Cupper
- Ari Magder as Dan Jones
- Danielle Marcot as Becky
- Brian O'Connor as Schemer
- Jonathan Freeman as Tito Swing
- Olga Felgemacher-Marin as DiDi
- Craig Marin as Tex
- Peter Baird as Grace
- Kenny Miele as Grace
- Alan Semok as Rex
It is unknown who played the Mime.
- Schemer's Mother (mentioned)
- Ginny Johnson (mentioned)
- Gracie Jones (mentioned)
- Thomas (mentioned)
- Henry (mentioned)
- Percy (mentioned)
Fed up with Percy's cheekiness and constant jokes, Gordon and James trick him into thinking that there are backing signals that tell him to go back.
Henry is too ill to pull his passenger train, and while Thomas offers, he makes a big mistake by leaving without his coaches.
Jukebox Band Segment Song
- Tennessee Central No. 9
- This is the first time we see Mr. Conductor with an animal friend whose scale is the same as his. Britt Allcroft had confirmed that the little white dog seen on his lap in the opening scene actually belonged to George Carlin. A photo of the same dog in his wife's arms can be seen in Carlin's autobiography "Last Words" (2009). George apparently dotted on the wee dog and was often seen carrying it around in public as they visited the Harbourfront Antique Market in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- The uncredited animated drive-in movie sequence featured in this episode is from the 1984 short film (18:15 mins) narrative "Easy Living" by Chip Lord and Mickey McGowan. In 1993, 4:45 minutes of the drive-in sequence was licensed under sale by Quality Family Entertainment to use as an introduction and closing segments of some Shining Time Station episodes released on home video.
- As Mr. Conductor is bouncing on the signal arm, a wire can be seen making the actual bouncing motion.
- Both Thomas stories involve an engine making a mistake.
- Mr. Conductor tells both stories to Dan, Becky and Kara in this episode.
- The Thomas stories are listed in reverse order in the end credits.
- A Big Day for Thomas was mistakenly dated 1986 in the end credits when the episode was made in 1984.