Stacy brings the mail in to everyone. Matt, Tanya, and Stacy get mail, but a disappointed Harry doesn't. Tanya remember's it's his birthday, so Matt, Tanya, and Stacy prepare a surprise party for him. After working for a bit, Harry nearly catches them. They shoo him away and move locations. Shooing him away to fetch a box of cheese giggles to Schemer makes him grumble. Mr. Conductor tells them the end of when the big engines were grumbling. The kids ask Mr. Conductor to help with the surprise party, but he is worried that Harry won't like him. Harry comes back, complaining that Schemer should get his own package. Going back into the workshop, Mr. Conductor tries to introduce himself to Harry, but can't. The three go to work on the surprise party. Schemer arrives, who notices there's two boxes of what he thinks is cheese giggles. One is cheese giggles, the other is an empty box filled with brithday presents. He decides to put one in the machine, and take the other one home. because he thinks both are cheese giggles boxes, he mistakenly takes the presents one. When Tanya and Matt come back, they forget about the cake. Mr. Conductor kindly makes them one. Stacy arrives, just as everyone notices the box of presents is gone. Schemer comes back, complaining the box had "artsy crafty" things. Harry yells at Schemer because he could've fetched the boxes himself. Schemer is very confused, but they all explain they are having a surprise party for Harry. Schemer joins in on the plan. Embarassed he doesn't have a gift, Matt suggests Schemer should give Harry nickels for the jukebox. Stacy says harry loves to play the jukebox. Schemer eventually gives in. They call Harry out and surprise him. He is very happy, just as the mail train arrives full of birthday cards for Harry. After the party, Harry is thinking that was the best birthday ever, just as Mr. Conductor goes in and introduces himself. They start talking about the presidential train, and realize they have a lot more in common than they both thought. They talk to eachother for a very long time.
Cast and Characters
- Ringo Starr as Mr. Conductor
- Didi Conn as Stacy Jones
- Leonard Jackson as Harry Cupper
- Nicole Leach as Tanya Cupper
- Brian O'Connor as Schemer
- Jason Woliner as Matthew Jones
- Peter Baird as Grace Bass
- Craig Marin as Rex
- Olga Marin as DiDi
- Alan Semok as Grace Bass
- Vaneese Thomas as Grace Bass
- Wayne White as Tex
- Thomas (mentioned)
- Edward (mentioned)
- Henry (mentioned)
- Gordon (mentioned)
- Percy (mentioned)
- Toby (mentioned)
- Annie and Clarabel (mentioned)
- After several days of being closed in their shed, the big engines finally agree to behave and go back to work. Percy, who is still relatively new to the railway, almost causes an accident on the Main Line when he stands in Gordon’s way. He gets so frightened, he runs away in reverse. Percy ends up in a bank of earth, and Gordon comes to pull him out. Percy apologizes to Gordon for the near-accident and learns to be extra careful.
- Thomas knows every part of his Branch Line, causing his driver to joke that he could manage without him. This makes Thomas conceited, claiming that he doesn’t need his driver anymore, despite Percy and Toby telling him otherwise. One morning, Thomas starts from the shed all by himself (due to a careless cleaner meddling with his controls) but finds that can’t stop and crashes into the Stationmaster’s house. Donald and Douglas arrive to help out, leaving Thomas with badly damaged buffers. Sir Topham Hatt sends Thomas to be mended and decides to enlist a diesel railcar to do Thomas’ work, claiming that "Diesels always stays in their sheds ‘till they are wanted!"
- Donald and Douglas
- Freight Cars
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster's Wife
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster (does not speak)
- The Firelighter (does not speak)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- One Little Boy (cameo)
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster's Children (cameos)
- Earnest (portrait cameo)
- The Careless Cleaner (mentioned)
- Daisy (indirectly mentioned)
Jukebox Band Segment Song
- A Railroader and Me
Cartoons & Songs
- The item that Matt receives in the mail is a Sesame Street magazine with Bert and Ernie featured prominently on the cover.
- Harry’s recollection of the President’s train is accompanied by footage of the Chessie System’s ex-Reading Railroad steam locomotive #2101 from The B&O's 8,000 Mile Birthday Party.
- The box of Cheese Giggles Harry brings up is obviously empty as Tanya was able to lift it very easily.
- When this episode was reran in the 90's with the bluebird and butterfly intro, the end credits for A Place Unlike Any Other were used by mistake.