Whistle While You Work is the eighth episode of the first season.
Stacy, Tanya, Matt and Mr. Conductor are cleaning the station. Schemer complains and says he can make the station more popular by advertising. He thinks little jobs are not important. This leads to him saying history is "in the past" and tries to make Shining Time "the future". This causes some problems and he later learns to take more responsibility and to work with others.
Cast and Characters
- Ringo Starr as Mr. Conductor
- Didi Conn as Stacy Jones
- Leonard Jackson as Harry Cupper
- Nicole Leach as Tanya Cupper
- Brian O'Connor as Schemer
- Jason Woliner as Matthew Jones
- Peter Baird as Grace Bass
- Craig Marin as Rex
- Olga Marin as DiDi
- Alan Semok as Grace Bass
- Vaneese Thomas as Grace Bass
- Wayne White as Tex
- Clinton Smith as Ed the Stilt Man
- Without Thomas in the yard, the big engines have more work to do and have to shunt their own coaches, which they didn't like. Thinking tender engines are more important than they are, Gordon, Henry and James complain bitterly about the situation, feeling they are being treated no better than "little tank engines". However, Gordon soon gets a taste of how it is to run as a tank engine when he cannot sit on the turntable properly during a blustery day - and ends up taking his next train backwards. James, feeling more confident of success against the wind, ends up spinning around helplessly like a top - as Gordon watches with glee. But by now, things have come to a head, and the big engines decide to take action against their ‘mistreatment’ and decide to go on strike to get back at Sir Topham Hatt.
- Gordon, James and Henry refuse to move out of their shed, claiming they’re too important to shunt coaches. Sir Topham Hatt tries to ease the situation by asking Edward to do the shunting, but the big engines hiss at him and make him sad. Sir Topham Hatt then decides to bring a new tank engine (Percy) to help out in the yard. Thomas returns, and he and Edward are asked to work the Main Line, while Percy works the Branch Line. As for the big engines, Sir Topham Hatt shuts them up in the shed - - all wishing they haven’t been so naughty.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Märklin Engine (cameo)
- Bertie (cameo)
Jukebox Band Segment Song
- Pop Goes the Weasel
Cartoons and Songs
- Let's All Work Together
- Cartoons used in the song:
- Happy Harmonies - To Spring (1936)
- Fleischer Studios - Ants in the Plants
- Fleischer Studios - Greedy Humpty Dumpty
- Noveltoons - Spring Song (1949)
- Noveltoons - Little Brown Jug (1948)
- Fleischer Studios - All's Fair at the Fair
- The title is based on the Disney song of the same name from the 1937 film Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.
- This is the first episode where none of the members of the Jukebox Band sing a song.