Word's Out is the sixteenth episode of the first season.
After Stacy hears word from headquarters that no trains will be stopping at the station that day, this leads to rumors and fears of Shining Time Station closing down and Schemer turning it into a health club. After being introduced to Midge Smoot, Matt and Tanya, not wanting to upset Midge tell her a rumor which starts to spread. Later, they tell Midge what they said wasn't true which Stacy confirms. Midge suddenly gets a tooth ache and with Harry's help she gets to her dentist in Doodle Haven by making a train stop at the station. Soon Stacy gets another phone call from headquarters relaying a message saying everyone in Doodle Haven is praising the station and its staff thanks to Midge. The fears and rumors of the station being closed come to their end.
Cast and Characters
- Ringo Starr as Mr. Conductor
- Didi Conn as Stacy Jones
- Leonard Jackson as Harry Cupper
- Nicole Leach as Tanya Cupper
- Brian O'Connor as Schemer
- Jason Woliner as Matthew Jones
- Peter Baird as Grace Bass
- Craig Marin as Rex
- Olga Marin as DiDi
- Alan Semok as Grace Bass
- Vaneese Thomas as Grace Bass
- Wayne White as Tex
The Freight Cars continue singing and laughing at Diesel until Duck orders them to be quiet. Diesel blames Duck for what had happened, but the other engines know it wasn’t done on purpose, as they would never tell about their differences to the cars. This gives Diesel a spiteful idea and he begins telling jokes to the cars, claiming that Duck told them. This is untrue, but the cars believe every word – Gordon a “Galloping Sausage”, James “Rusty Red Scrap Iron” and Henry is “Old Square Wheels” – and when the three engines realise this, they confront Duck and refuse to let him enter the shed. Sir Topham Hatt is told all, but Diesel claims to know nothing, so he sends Duck away to Edward’s Station. Duck tearfully departs, leaving Diesel smirking quietly with triumph.
Duck arrives at Edward’s Station and tells Edward about Diesel’s lies. Edward knows Duck isn’t horrid at all and makes him welcome to his yard. But whilst helping his freight train up the hill, the cars break away and chase Duck down the line. Duck tries his best to keep them under control, and ends up crashing into a barbershop, where upon he is lathered by the annoyed Barber! However, the barber forgives Duck when Sir Topham Hatt arrives and explains everything. He praises Duck for his brave actions, adding that he never believed Diesel and sent him packing. After being washed and mended, Duck returns home to a hero’s welcome.
Jukebox Band Segment Song
Cartoons and Song
- Be Good To Yourself
- Cartoons in the song:
- Chicken A La King (1937)
- Bunny Mooning (1937)
- Little Lambkin (1940)
- Small Fry (1939)
- Hawaiian Birds (1936)
- All's Fair At The Fair (1938)
- This is the first appearance of Midge Smoot.
- Though not explicitly stated, this episode is a follow-up to the previous episode, "Promises, Promises". Besides resolving the issue of Shining Time Station losing its trains, it also features the second and third story in the Duck and Diesel trilogy of Thomas & Friends.
- The song “Be Good to Yourself” was released on video as part of “Shining Time Station Singsongs Vol. 1”.
- The person heard on the other side of Stacy's telephone conversation in this episode are actually sped-up versions of T.S. Elliot reading a few lines from his poems "The Naming of Cats" and "Growltiger's Last Stand".
- Mr. Conductor tells both Thomas stories to Matt and Tanya in this episode.
- Bobo Lewis joins the cast.